Buy My Books and Support My Blog!

Buy My Books and Support My Blog!
Crystal Evans Books

“The idea that sex is something a woman gives a man, and she loses something when she does that, which again for me is nonsense. I want us to raise girls differently where boys and girls start to see sexuality as something that they own, rather than something that a boy takes from a girl.”

— Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

LAND FOR SALE

LAND FOR SALE
Referral Banners

My Online Radio

My Online Radio

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Young men and their obsessions with Guns

 I have this theory that the Black Man's obsession with gun stems from their ancestral days in Africa when tribal leaders sold out their weaker neighbors into slavery for Guns and Ammunitions. It is within my opinion that it is where the black's man association with gun as an emblem of power began. This is probably the reason why all if not most black men believe that in order to feel truly powerful or validated in their societies, they must possess, boast of or handle a gun. 

Maybe it was on the Sugar plantation when they lost countless revolts because the militia had firearms and they did not. They somehow think that if they had arms that they could overthrow the militia or perhaps it was when they were murdered by police officers in civil unrest that they confirmed there was some superiority associated with possessing an ammunition. 

I surmised that maybe it was when politicians and people who were politically affiliated decided it would be a good idea to arm young men in garrison communities to ensure that certain constituencies were secured by duress. 

Some hypothesis that our young men's obsession and glorification of gun started when they realized how much power the man with the gun exudes. They don't understand that the man with the gun has been mislead into thinking the gun can protect him from the inevitability of death. The gun merely offers defense. It cannot protect you. 

What about our music? 

People wonder at times at my preoccupation with Tommy Lees lyrics. Read this 
"Mi heart ago laugh when me Step to you door,kick down you door,  kick your head to the floor...glock pon mi side buss four four, nobody wanna see your face when it tore...ambush the funeral shoot up the hearse...shoot up your mother  bible drop out of her purse...##TOmmy lee## We nuh fear DEm...

Read and think about the lyrical impact that such words have on our young people. This song is on a such a catchy rhythm. Truth is I couldn't help nodding my head at the creative lyricism, the grisly images it evoked in my head and the way he romanticize death by violence. He ennobles and worships the murderer, making death look like an art, creative expression. Is the music responsible for how our young men are fixated with guns and the escalation of the crime rate. 

What factors or who is to be blamed for what's happening to our children? Are they just acting out what is in their genetics?  A hereditary trait past down through generations. The ghost that is in our genes. 




No comments:

Post a Comment